L’Oreal Paris will be launching the Rouge Caresse Lipsticks in Canadian drugstores later this month. From what I gather, they are already available for purchase in Europe/UK and may/may not be available in the USA already? If not, they will be soon.
Although these are already being compared to the Revlon Lip Butters, I think the L’Oreal Caresse Lipsticks have a completely different look and feel to them and would not agree with that comparison. Revlon Lip Butters are more like a lipstick while these are more comparable to a glossy balm.
These lipsticks are basically the budget dupe for high end glossy lipsticks on the market including the DIOR’s Addict Extreme Lipstick ($30+) or Chanel’s Rouge Coco Shine Lipstick but, L’Oreal Paris’ Caresse Lipstick will be available at a fraction of the price.
For those interested, The DIOR extremes are longer wearing and have more of a have a plumping effect. The L’Oreal Caresse provide comparable shine and hydration however. The Chanel version comes in a wider variety of shades (at least 18) yet I can’t justify the hefty price tag that comes along with it.
I have been able to try out an assortment of shades in the Caresse range, and agree that the application is quite smooth, regardless of which of the available 12 colours you choose.
Here are some of my initial thoughts on this hot new product:
- Semi-sheer formula
- Semi-gloss finish / luminous shine
- Delicate texture that “glides onto lips creating a veil of colour”
- Smooth effortless application
- Moisturizing (leave lips feeling hydrated and soft)
- Light -weight feeling of a balm
- Tend to melt easily if exposed to mild heat conditions
- Not heavy or drying
- Subtle but pleasant scent
COLOUR SELECTION & PAYOFF:
- More colour payoff than expected considering the semi-sheer formulation
- Darker options have more build-able coverage (re-application produces more vibrant shade)
- Colours are “sheer but still pigmented (if that makes sense) Although not an opaque product, the pigment/shine really shows up on the lips
- They are completely free of shimmer
- 12 shades to choose from with plenty of variety
- Last 1-2 hours on me before the need to re-apply. Despite this, a subtle “stain” is left behind on my lips which acts as a nice buffer. I had hoped that they’d last a little longer as applying often is not something I always remember or have the time to do
PRICE & PACKAGING:
- Suggested retail is $12.99 Cdn.
- Reasonably priced in comparison to other glossy lipsticks on the market of comparable quality
- Sleek & sophisticated packaging
- Peep hole allows you to see lipstick shade making selection easy
- Colour of end cap does not always match the colour inside 🙁
If you suffer from dry or chapped lips, you will absolutely love the extra hydration that your lips get from this “glossy balm”. Those of you just looking for a pop of colour rather than an intensely saturated lipstick will also like the semi-sheer formulation that these provide.
If you are looking for something that lasts and lasts and has immense pigmentation then these may not satisfy your needs. Either way, for the price, they are great quality “hybrids” that are sure to impress even the pickiest of critics.
|Left to Right:
Sunset Angora (176), Cherry Tulle (179), Blushing Sequin (172), Velvet Fuchsia (173)
Rose Taffeta (174), Violet Chiffon (175), Pink Cashmere (171)
|Left to Right:
Sunset Angora, Blushing Sequin, Velvet Fuchsia, Rose Taffeta,
Violet Chiffon, Pink Cashmere & Cherry Tulle
|Top to Bottom:
Sunset Angora, Cherry Tulle, Violet Chiffon,
Rose Taffeta, Velvet Fuchsia, Blushing Sequin & Pink Cashmere