Many brands use natural & activated charcoal in their skin care products because of its high efficacy in drawing out pore-clogging dirt, impurities, oil and bacteria. Often dubbed a “secret weapon” ingredient, charcoal works like a magnet to remove dirt and oil. It has deep cleansing properties that help to unclog your pores & leaves your skin looking more clear and radiant. Both Biore and Life Brand (available at Shoppers Drug Mart in Canada) carry an assortment of charcoal-based products including masks, cleansers and the Charcoal Pore Strips pictured below.
Did you know that we have about 200,000 pores on the face? How many of you have ever used a pore strip and thought to yourself “oh my gosh, that came off of my nose!”? No wonder why people choose to go for deep pore facials right? The adhesive sheet of paper works by pulling out blackheads and whiteheads like a magnet! It feels good to see those pesky blackheads stuck to the surface of the strip but there are some tips to make the process a little more seamless. Keep reading…..
Life Brand Charcoal Face & Nose Strips & Biore Deep Cleansing Charcoal Pore Strips
How to Effectively use Pore Strips:
1) Before you apply any pore strip, it is important to steam your pores open. You can do so by bending over a sink full of hot water & draping a large towel over your head and the sink basin.
2) After steaming for 10 minutes, moisten the area (forehead, chin or nose) that you want to treat. The strips will not work on dry skin.
3) Apply the strip, pressing down to smooth out any air bubbles. Ensure good contact with the skin.
4) Wait 10-15 minutes or until the strip is stiff to the touch. Be careful when removing it, especially if you have sensitive skin. Slowly peel off the strip, starting at one of the edges, then pull off towards the centre. (If the strip feels uncomfortable, you may have left it on too long….just dampen the strip & try again).
5) Avoid using pore strips on sunburned, excessively dry or blemished skin.
6) Limit use to only 1-2 times a week on the same area for best results.
Biore Pore Penetrating Charcoal Bar & Life Brand Charcoal Peel-Off Mask
Biore also makes a Pore Penetrating Charcoal Bar that deep cleans and mildly exfoliates your skin for those of you prone to getting a lot of blackheads. It claims to clean pores 2.5x more than a basic cleanser would. Infused with natural charcoal, jojoba beads and peppermint, it leaves skin clean and feeling tingly smooth.
Life Brand’s Charcoal Peel-Off Mask is also great at reducing the appearance of pores. This product contains activated charcoal powder which easily removes dirt, excess oil and impurities from the skin. Great for all skin types; paraben-free & dermatologist tested.
Have you tried any products with charcoal in them? Let me know in the comments below.